Group of 4x4s lined up at an angle with their owners standing next to their trucks.

Trip Report: Caves to Caves

We kicked offTents and 4x4s on open grass with trees behind at 7.30 am from Penrith. Our troop consisted of nine 4×4’s two of them towing camper trailers.We passed just one good fox (any dead fox is a good fox) on the way to Oberon. Arriving there at 10am we had a pit stop and a top up. It was quite cold in Oberon and most people were making use of their new club hoodies and polar fleeces. We were all realising that it may be a very cold night. Thanks to Andrew missing the turn off, we enjoyed a scenic drive around Oberon, before heading in the right direction to Yerranderie.

The dirt road was Girl about 10 holding hand out feeding a Kangaroo on grass with 4x4s in good condition and we didn’t have any dramas along the way, just the usual dust problems so the 90 odd km’s went quite quickly.We arrived at Yerranderie camp ground just after 12 noon and the caretaker was there to welcome us in no time at all. To our surprise, the temperature was quite warm – very similar to Sydney so the thoughts of a cold night disappeared. The camp ground was fantastic, with a flat green grass area to set camp on, fire pits with log seat surrounds, fresh water taps, flushing toilets, hot showers, camp kitchen and fire wood already chopped, stacked and ready to use. Birds and kangaroos were all around and there was an abundance of peace and quiet.

After setting camp, we had a lTwo wagon wheels nailed to a tree. Picture angle is taken looking trhough one of the wheels.ook around the old town which had lots of memorabilia in old tools, wares, furniture and buildings. The children were so excited, thinking they had found silver in the rocks that they were collecting and wanted to take them home (much to the delight of their dads). After a short walk to the silver mine it was time to relax around the fire.

After dinner some of the fellers went for a night drive to Dingo Dell. In the morning they reported that they all had a good drive and sighted lots of wombats along the way. Andrew was pleased they hadn’t taken that route with the camper trailers.
We broke camp Sunday morning, leaving Yerranderie at 10.15am, heading for Wombeyan Caves. There was only one mishap on the way and that was a flat tyre on Bruce’s Hilux. This meant Shane got to Group of people sitting around a camp fire.use his high lift jack while the front half of the convey had a morning tea break further up the track.
Our convoy arrived at Wombeyan Caves for a late lunch, photo opportunities and pit stop before heading home. A few drivers chose to continue on the dirt to Mittagong then join the freeway while the rest headed for Goulburn on the bitumen before joining the freeway. We saw one more good fox on the way home.

Thanks to Linda and Andrew, and to all for a great weekend.

Steve and Rhonda

Leave a Comment